- What is the subclass 461 visa?
- What can I do on the subclass 461 visa?
- Am I eligible for the 461 visa?
- What does the 461 visa cost?
- How long does the 461 visa last?
- What is the processing time of the 461 visa?
- What are my obligations under the 461 visa?
The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (temporary) Visa (Subclass 461) is designed for applicants who aren’t New Zealand citizens but are related to a New Zealand citizen and wish to migrate to Australia. Your relative must either hold a subclass 444 visa and is living in Australia or be eligible for a subclass 444 visa and will be accompanying you to Australia.
The 461 Visa allows you to
- Stay in Australia for 5 years
- Find employment
- Study in Australia
- Travel to and from Australia as much as you want in the 5-year duration
Note: if you are working you are protected by Australian workplace law. See your workplace rights and entitlements.
461 Visa Eligibility Criteria
- not an Australian or New Zealand citizen at the time of application (if you are granted New Zealand citizenship during the processing time of your application you can still continue with your application)
- Be related to the New Zealand citizen under the following; their partner, child/step child, their partners child/step-child, the dependant of you or your partners child/step-child
- Meet health and character requirements
- Have health insurance as you are personally liable for any medical expenses including unforeseen circumstances. See more on health insurance for overseas visitors.
- Have signed the Australian Values Statement
- Have paid back any outstanding debt
- Not have any previously cancelled or refused visa applications
- If you are under 18, this visa may not be granted if the Department of Home Affairs decides it is not in your best interest
- Not have a condition 8534 (no further stay)
Note: where you apply is where you should be when the department of Home Affairs makes a decision about your visa application.
If you apply offshore, you don’t need to apply for any other visa when applying for a subclass 461 and must be offshore when the visa is granted.
If you are in Australia when you apply, you must be holding a temporary visa (excluding a subclass 403 visa) and must be in Australia when the visa is granted.
461 Visa Cost
461 Visa Stay
This is a temporary visa; with this visa you can remain in Australia for 5 years. When your visa expires, if you are eligible you can apply for another Subclass 461 visa
461 Visa Processing Time
As of 2023.07, the published processing times are:
- 25% of applications: 36 Days
- 50% of applications: 57 Days
- 75% of applications: 12 Months
- 90% of applications: 24 Months
461 Visa Obligations
- You and any additional family members must obey Australian laws and meet all visa conditions
- Inform the department if anything changes. This includes changes to the relationship status, the birth of a child (or stepchild) and any changes to personal details such as phone number, email address or passport