Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) – Introductory Guide

  1. Introduction
  2. Queue release dates & Processing Time
  3. Cost
  4. Eligibility
  5. Documents Checklist
  6. Lodgement
  7. Frequently Asked Questions

Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) Introduction

This permanent visa lets a parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen move to Australia. With this visa the parent can:

  • move to or stay in Australia as a permanent resident
  • sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) Queue release dates & Processing Time

Your application might take longer to process if:

  • you do not fill it in correctly
  • you do not include all the documents needed or the Department needs more information from you
  • it takes the Department time to verify your information

The Department can’t process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge. They will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application. Family migration visas are in high demand. It might take several years for this visa to be granted. The Department does not provide processing times for Contributory Parent visa applications. Applications for this visa are subject to capping and queueing.

As at 31 March 2024, we have released the following applications for final processing:

  • Contributory Parent visa applications with a queue date up to June 2017
  • Parent visa applications with a queue date up to November 2011
  • Aged Parent visa applications with a queue date up to January 2013.

The Department updates this information only when the latest final processing dates are available. ​ Once the Department reaches the number of visa places available in the current Migration Program year they will consider any applications that have been queued and released for final processing, but not yet finalised, for a place in a subsequent year. 2022–23 Migration program planning levels for parent visas are 8,500 places. Contributory Parent visa processing times change for a number of reasons, including:

  • changes in planning levels
  • how many visa applications are submitted
  • how many applications are withdrawn or refused
  • Administrative Appeals Tribunal remits
  • Ministerial Intervention cases
  • changes to processing directions

However, based on current planning levels, it is estimated that new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 64 months to be released for final processing.


Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visa

As part of the 2021-22 Federal Budget, the Government announced that it will extend the visa validity period by 18 months for certain Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visa (SPTV) holders who are outside Australia. This measure intends to assist SPTV holders who could not travel to spend the full three or five years on their visa in Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. This measure is intended to come into effect in July 2021.  

Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) Cost

This visa costs from AUD48,365. There is also an additional charge for each family member who applies with you. (Update date:2023.07) You pay for this visa in 2 parts, called instalments:

  • Pay the first instalment when you apply
  • Pay the second instalment when the Department asks you to

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics. To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.  


Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) Eligibility

The Department assesses applications for this visa in 2 stages.

  • Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it
  • Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.

Don’t arrange to move to Australia until the Department grants the visa. They will let you know in writing if they grant you the visa. You must meet the following key requirements as the visa applicant:

  1. Not have this visa

You cannot apply for this visa if you have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (subclass 870) visa.

  1. Have a sponsor

You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor for this visa. Usually you would be sponsored by an eligible child. If your child is under 18, you can be sponsored by an eligible relative or community organisation. The Department must approve the sponsorship.

  1. Meet the balance-of-family test

You must meet the balance-of-family test. You meet the balance of family test if:

  • at least half of your children and step-children are eligible children, or
  • there are more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country

See examples of how the balance-of-family test is applied.

  1. Have assurance of support

You must be able to obtain an assurance of support. An assurance of support assures the Department that you will not have to rely on government assistance after you enter Australia on this visa. The assurance is for you and any family members who come to Australia with you on this visa. The Department will let you know when you need to provide the assurance of support. You must meet the following key requirements as the visa sponsor:

  1. Be suitable to sponsor

To sponsor an applicant for this visa, you must be:

  • an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • settled in Australia
  • 18 years of age or older

Usually, you would sponsor your parent for this visa. You can sponsor more than one parent.

Alternative sponsorship arrangements

You can sponsor a visa applicant on behalf of a child under 18 if you are:

  • an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, and
  • settled in Australia, and
  • 18 years of age or older

You must be:

  • the child’s co-habiting spouse, or
  • the child’s relative or guardian, or
  • a relative or guardian of the child’s co-habiting spouse

Or your community organisation can sponsor an applicant where:

  • there is a relationship between the organisation and the applicant’s child
  • a senior representative of the organisation agrees to sponsor the applicant
  • the organisation is lawfully established in Australia
  • the organisation has been actively operating in Australia for at least one year
  • the organisation can meet its financial commitments


Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) Documents Checklist

Applicant documents

1. Identity documents

The Department needs proof of your identity. If you cannot prove your identity:

  • the Department will refuse your visa application
  • the Department might not grant you another visa for 10 years
  • the Department might not grant any family members you listed on your application a visa for 10 years

Provide the pages of your current passport showing your photo, personal details, and passport issue and expiry dates. Also provide:

  • a national identity card, if you have one
  • proof of change of name

Documents that prove a change of name include:

  • a marriage or divorce certificate
  • change of name documents from an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, or the relevant overseas authority
  • documents that show other names you have been known by

2. Balance of family documents

Show the Department that you meet the balance-of-family test by giving them:

  • evidence of how you are related to each child
  • evidence of each child’s country of permanent residence
  • evidence that your child should not be included in the balance-of-family test (for example, their death certificate)

3. Character documents

The Department might ask you for character documents, including police certificates. Don’t arrange a police check until the Department asks you to.

4. Assurance of Support documents

Provide the Department with an assurance of support when they  ask for it.

5. Dependants under 18 documents (if applicable)

For every dependent under 18 years old who is applying with you, provide:

  • identity documents
  • proof of your relationship with them, like a birth or marriage certificate
  • character documents, if applicable

You must get consent for any applicant under 18 years of age to migrate to Australia from anyone who:

  • has a legal right to decide where the child lives and
  • is not coming to Australia with the child

They must complete either:

Alternatively, you can show the Department:

  • an Australian court order that allows your child to migrate to Australia, or
  • that the laws of your home country allow them to migrate


  • an identity document that shows the signature and photo of the person who completed the form or declaration, such as a passport or driver’s licence
  • adoption papers or other court documents if applicable

6. Dependants over 18 documents (if applicable)

To be included in your visa application as a dependent child, your child must be:

  • under 18 years, or
  • over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and dependent on you or your partner, or
  • over 23 years of age, unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and dependent on you or your partner

For every dependant 18 years old or older who is applying with you, provide:

  • identity documents
  • documents about their other relationships, if applicable
  • character documents
  • proof of dependency

If your child is likely to turn 23 while your application is being processed, you will need to provide evidence they are dependent on you due to disability. Provide:

  • identity documents
  • documents about their other relationships, if applicable
  • character documents

If you are applying as a retiree you can’t include your children, or your partner’s children, in your application. You need to prove that this person is dependent on you. Provide:

You must also prove this person has been financially dependent on you for at least 12 months before you apply. You could provide:

  • proof they live with you
  • their tax records
  • proof they are currently studying

7. Partner documents (if applicable)

For partners, provide identity documents and relationship documents. Provide:

  • identity documents
  • character documents
  • documents about other relationships, if applicable

Provide either:

  • your current marriage certificate or
  • enough documents to prove you have been in a de facto relationship with your partner for at least 12 months before you apply

Documents that prove your de facto relationship include:

  • joint bank account statements
  • billing accounts in joint names
  • joint leases or mortgages
  • documents that show you have lived at the same address as your partner

8. Photographs

Provide 4 recent photos of anyone included in the application. Photographs must be:

  • 45mm x 35mm
  • less than 6 months old
  • good quality colour. The Department don’t accept laser copies
  • a full-face view of your head and shoulders
  • taken against a plain light-coloured background

You can wear untinted prescription glasses. If you wear a head covering for religious reasons, you can show only your face.  

Sponsor documents

1. Prove your relationship to the applicant

To prove your relationship to the applicant, give the Department:

  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificates
  • death certificates
  • adoption certificates
  • family status certificates or family books if officially issued and maintained

2. Prove you are a citizen or permanent resident

To prove that you are an eligible citizen or permanent resident, give the Department:

  • citizenship certificate
  • passport
  • valid visa (for eligible New Zealand citizens)
  • evidence you are settled

Prove you are an eligible community organisation If your community organisation is sponsoring the applicant, give the Department:

  • your certificate of registration
  • proof your representative can act for the organisation, such as authorisation from the board or management committee
  • proof you can financially support the applicant after they arrive in Australia
  • proof the organisation is lawfully established in Australia and has been actively operating in Australia for a period of at least a year
  • proof of your organisation’s relationship with the applicant’s child

3. Form 40 Sponsorship for migration to Australia (455KB PDF)

This form must be lodged with the visa application. The applicant will lodge this form, so provide it to them.  

Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143) Lodgement

You must apply for this visa on paper. You can apply from in (but not in immigration clearance) or outside Australia, when you submit your application.  

Frequently Asked Questions

1. If you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa

You can apply for the subclass 143 visa as a two-step process by first applying for a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa. Applying for the subclass 173 visa and then the subclass 143 visa allows you to spread the cost of the visas over a number of years. You have already met the balance of family test. You won’t need to provide the Department with some of the documents they usually ask for if:

  • you hold a subclass 173 visa, or
  • your subclass 173 visa ended in the 28 days immediately before you apply for this visa

You will still need to provide documents:

  • to let the Department know you are getting help with your application
  • if there has been a change in your situation since the Department granted you the 173 visa

Changes in your situation the Department needs evidence of include:

  • your family member is no longer a dependent
  • your partnership relationship has changed
  • you have had a baby
  • your contact details have changed
  • you have a new passport
  • you want to nominate a new sponsor
  • your sponsor has died


2. Apply for a Parent visa (subclass 143) as a retiree

You can apply for a Parent visa (subclass 143) as a retiree if:

  • on 8 May 2018, you held or had previously held an Investor Retirement (subclass 405) visa or Retirement (subclass 410), and
  • you have not held any other substantive visa between 8 May 2018 and the date you applied for the Parent visa

If you apply for the subclass 143 visa as a retiree you don’t have to:


3. Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. Family members who apply for the visa must meet the health and character requirements. You are required to include details of all your family members, whether they are migrating or not. Family members who are not coming to Australia might also have to meet the health and character requirements. If you apply for this visa as a retiree, you:

  • can include your partner when you apply provided they are also a retiree
  • can’t include your children in your application


4. Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa. If you apply in Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. If you apply outside Australia, any family members who apply for the visa with you must also be outside Australia when you apply. If you are applying as a retiree you must be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. You can be in or outside Australia when the Department makes a decision on your application.   5. If your sponsor dies If you hold a Temporary Contributory Parent (subclass 173) visa, you might still be eligible for this visa if your sponsor dies. Check your eligibility with the Parent Visa Centre via email: [email protected]. If this happens, you should notify the Department as soon as possible by:

  6. Access Australian Government benefits As a newly arrived resident you might have to wait to access certain Australian Government payments and benefits. Learn more about newly arrived residents’ waiting periods from Services Australia.   7. Sponsor’s obligations You must agree that, for the first 2 years the visa holder is in Australia on this visa, you will provide the applicant and any family members who come with them with:

  • accommodation
  • financial assistance

  8. How long your sponsorship obligations last Sponsorship obligations last for 2 years.   9. Withdraw sponsorship If you try to withdraw your sponsorship after the Department grant the visa, the Department may not release you from your sponsorship obligations. However, if the Department do release you from your sponsorship obligations under the visa, they are likely to cancel the visa. They will then send you a letter releasing you from your sponsorship.  

Scroll to Top
error: Alert: Content is protected !!