- What is the contributory aged parent (subclass 884) visa?
- What can you do on the 884 Visa?
- What is the eligibility for the 884 Visa?
- What is the balance of family test?
- What is assurance of support?
- How much does the 884 Visa cost?
- How long does the 884 Visa last?
- What are my obligations under the 884 Visa?
The Contributory Aged Parent (temporary) Visa (Subclass 884) is designed for pension aged applicants who have children living in Australia as a permanent resident or Australian citizen. This visa is temporary and allows you to be onshore for two years while you apply for a Contributory Aged Parent (permanent) Visa (subclass 864).
The 884 Visa allows you to
- Stay in Australia for 2 years
- Find employment
- Study in Australia (at your own expense)
- Apply for the Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) Visa (subclass 864)
- Travel to and from Australia as much as you want in the 2-year duration
- Enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme (medicare)
Note: The Australian government will not compensate or loan any expense for education or work.
If you are working you are protected by Australian workplace law. See your workplace rights and entitlements.
884 Visa Eligibility Criteria
- Be of Australian pension age (65)
- Be the parent of a settled Australian citizen, Permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. Settled means a person has lived in Australia for a reasonable period which in most circumstances under DOHA policy is 2 years
- Not have applied for or currently hold a sponsored parent (temporary) (subclass 870) visa
- Meet health and character requirements
- Meet the balance of family test
- You must be sponsored by an eligible person (usually your child)
- Must have Assurance of Support
Balance of Family Test
In order to apply for this visa, the applicant must meet the requirements of the “balance of family test (BFT)” this assesses that the applicant/s must have at least half of their children living in Australia, settled as an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or that majority of your children live in Australia than any other country. This includes stepchildren and adopted children of both parents.
Assurance of Support (AOS)
An Assurance of Support is essentially a bond with the department of human services. It is an additional cost paid by the sponsor at the time of decision, for two applicants the bond is an estimated cost of $14,000, however, the assurer’s taxable income needs to be assessed. This is amount is an agreement that financial support will be provided to the applicant/s to settle down in Australia and in circumstances of financial hardship so that there isn’t a dependency on government income (Centrelink).
This amount is paid to the department of human services and is an agreement to re-pay the department for any income support provided. The amount is repaid (minus debt to the Australian government) two years after The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) is granted.
The assurer must:
- Give sufficient support so thatthe primary applicant or any accompanying family do not have to rely on any government support
- Pay a security bond before the visa isgranted
884 Visa Cost
From AUD33,895 （Update date：2023.07）
This is a separate amount for each applicant (family member or partner) that applies with the main applicant
Initial fee $2,380(over 18) $1,195(under 18) for any additional applicants.
the Second instalment of $29,130 is required to be paid for each applicant before the visa is granted
In no circumstance will an applicant be charged the second instalment and visa not granted
Additional costs: You might also have to pay other costs for each applicant for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
Note: before the expiration of this visa, you are required to pay an additional $19,420 if you apply for permanent visa (subclass 864).
884 Visa length of stay
This is a temporary visa; with this visa you can remain in Australia for 2 years.
884 Visa Processing Time
A new Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) application may take at least 12 years to process.
For more information, see Parent visa queue.
884 Visa Obligations
- You must obey all Australian laws
- Inform the department if anything changes. This includes changes to the relationship status, the birth of a child and any changes to personal details such as phone number, email address or passport
- You cannot stay past the expiration of this visa so ensure you have applied for the 864 permanent visa before the expiration of your 884 visa
Please follow the link below for FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION
If you want to know more about Australian visa, you can get in touch with us and we will be happy to help you!
Address: 6/13 Bridge St Epping NSW 2121
Tel: 02-8203 2999
Facebook: Aussie Immigration Services