- What is the Child onshore visa (subclass 802)?
- What can you do on the subclass 802 visa?
- Am I eligible for the subclass 802 visa?
- Best interest of the child
- How much does the subclass 802 visa cost?
- How long can you stay on the subclass 802 visa?
- What is the processing time on the subclass 802 visa?
- What are the obligations on the subclass 802 visa?
- What are the sponsor obligations on the subclass 802 visa?
Child Onshore (subclass 802) Visa allows a dependent child of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is already in Australia at the time of the application to stay in Australia indefinitely as a permanent resident with their parents.
This visa allows you to
- Live in Australia permanently
- Access Australia’s public healthcare scheme (Medicare)
- If eligible apply for Australian citizenship
- Sponsor relatives to migrate to Australia
- Travel to and from Australia for the first 5 years after the visa is granted (after 5-years you will need to apply for the respective visas)
802 Visa Eligibility criteria
- Be a dependent child of a parent who’s is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Be under 18 or under 25 and a full-time student who financially relies on their parent
- Be single and dependant on the parent
- Be in Australia at the time of application and when the department makes a decision
- Not be in Australia on another visa with a condition 8534 (no further stay)
- Meet health and character requirements
- Have consent from all legal parties who can decide where the child lives
note: A child is also eligible if they are over 18 but dependent on their parent because they are unable to work due to disability.
Best interest of the child
The Department of Home Affairs declares the right to refuse the visa if they find it is not in the best interest of the child. Sponsorship of the child must be approved for the protection of the child
802 Visa Cost
From AUD 3055（Update date：2023.07）
note: if the child has siblings or other family members also applying, they must apply separately.
Additional costs: You might also have to pay other costs for each applicant for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
Length of stay
This visa when granted is permanent residency in Australia
As of 2023.07, the published average processing times are as follows:
- 25% of applications: 5 Months
- 50% of applications: 7 Months
- 75% of applications: 11 Months
- 90% of applications: 19 Months
802 Visa obligations
- The child must obey all Australian laws
- Not get married or enter a de-facto relationship before the grant of this visa
- Inform the department if anything changes. This includes changes to your relationship status, the birth of a child and any changes to personal details such as phone number, email address or passport
802 Visa sponsor obligations
- As the sponsor and parent, you are obligated to financially support your child, you are responsible for the cost to the Australian government of the child living in Australia
- Help the child settle in Australia
- Provide adequate safe accommodation
- Abide by all Australian family law
Please follow the link below for FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION
If you want to know more about Australian visa, you can get in touch with us and we will be happy to help you!
Address: 6/13 Bridge St Epping NSW 2121
Tel: 02-8203 2999
Facebook: Aussie Immigration Services