- What is the Sponsored Parent (Subclass 870) Visa?
- What can you do on the subclass 870 visa?
- Am I eligible for the 870 Visa?
- Subclass 870 sponsorship
- How much does the 870 Visa cost?
- How long can you stay on the 870 Visa?
- What is the processing time for the 870 Visa?
- What are my obligations on the 870 Visa?
- Health insurance
The Sponsored Parent (Subclass 870) Visa allows the parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to stay in Australia temporarily to reunite with their children.
The 870 Visa allows you to
- Visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years
- Reunite with your children
- Apply for further visas that allow you to visit Australia for up to 10 years
Note: you cannot extend this visa, if you wish to stay longer in Australia you must apply for a new visa
870 Visa Eligibility Criteria
- Have an approved parent sponsor before you apply
- Apply online
- Lodge application within 6 months of your sponsors approval
- You must be outside Australia when you apply, unless you have specific permission to apply within Australia
- Meet health and character requirements
- Have the financial means to travel, support yourself while in Australia and leave Australia at the end of your stay
- Be a genuine visitor, this means you only intend to stay in Australia for the duration of your visa outlined in your visa grant letter and will obey any conditions attached to your visa
- Have paid back any outstanding debt to the Australian government
Your sponsor must be approved by The Department of Home Affairs. A household can only make one sponsorship at a time, a sponsorship can include two parents.
870 Visa Cost
Up to 3 years AUD5,735
Up to 5 years AUD11,470
Additional costs: You might also have to pay other costs for each applicant for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
870 Visa Stay
Up to 3 or 5 years
Note: Due to covid-19 eligible visa holders will be offered a concession that allows their sponsored parent visa to be extended by 18months. Sponsorship obligations associated with this visa will also be extended for the same period.
870 Visa Processing Time
As of 2023.07, the published processing times are:
- 25% of applications: 47 Days
- 50% of applications: 77 Days
- 75% of applications: 4 Months
- 90% of applications: 5 Months
Your application’s processing time may be longer if:
- Your application is not filled in correctly
- All necessary documents aren’t included in your application or more information is requested by the Department of Home Affairs
- Information about you needs to be verified
870 Visa Obligations
- You must obey Australian laws and meet all visa conditions
- Enter and exit Australia on the specified dates outlined on your visa grant letter. These are determined by The Department of Home Affairs
- You cannot undertake any paid work in Australia
- Inform the department if anything changes. This includes changes to your relationship status, the birth of a child (or stepchild) and any changes to personal details such as phone number, address or passport.
Note: you cannot apply for permanent residency on this visa
It is important you arrange to have health insurance when travelling as you are personally liable for any medical expenses including unforeseen circumstances. See more on health insurance for overseas visitors.
Please follow the link below for FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION
If you want to know more about Australian visa, you can get in touch with us and we will be happy to help you!
Address: 6/13 Bridge St Epping NSW 2121
Tel: 02-8203 2999
Facebook: Aussie Immigration Services