Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601) Visa

  1. What is the electronic travel authority (subclass 601) visa?
  2. What can you do on the 601 Visa?
  3. Am I eligible for the 601 Visa?
  4. What countries are eligible for the 601 visa?
  5. Business visitors on the 601 visa
  6. How much does the 601 Visa cost?
  7. How long can you stay on the 601 Visa?
  8. What is the processing time for the 601 Visa?
  9. What are my obligations on the 601 Visa?
  10. Health insurance under the 601 Visa


The Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601) Visa (ETA) allows applicants to visit Australia as much as you’d like within a 12-month period. Each stay can be up to 3 months at a time.

The 601 Visa allows you to

  • Travel to Australia, as a tourist, business visitor or to see family members/friends
  • Re-enter Australia as many times as you’d like in the 12-month duration (maximum 3 month stay at a time)
  • Undertake business training or study for a 3-month duration

601 Visa Eligibility Criteria

  • Have an eligible, current passport
  • Be outside Australia when you apply and when The Department of Home Affairs makes a decision about your visa (do not arrange to travel until you receive a visa grant letter)
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Be a genuine visitor, this means you only intend to stay in Australia for 3 months at a time and will obey any conditions attached to your visa
  • Have paid back any outstanding debt to the Australian government
  • If you are under 18, The Department of Home Affairs reserves the right to refuse this visa if they do not believe it is in your best interest

Eligible countries for the 601 Visa

As of January 2023, The Department of Home Affairs current published list of eligible countries is as follows:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports), The Netherlands, United Kingdom—British Citizen, United Kingdom—British National (Overseas), United States of America and Vatican City.

Business visitors on the 651 Visa

Under this visa, as a business visitor you can make general business/employment enquiries, make or review business contracts, take part in activities as part of an official government visit, take part in a business seminar, conference or trade fair (this cannot be paid work)

You can’t work or provide a service to a business or organisation in Australia or sell goods and services to the Australia public directly. If you want to do short term work in Australia that is not considered being a business visitor or for an income apply for a visa that allows you to work.

Note: if you work on an ETA, plan to work or breach the conditions of your ETA in any way your visa may be cancelled, and you may be removed or refused entry to Australia.

601 Visa Cost

There is no Visa Application Charge (VAC). There may be an application service charge of AUD20.

(Update date:2023.07)

601 Visa Stay

This is a temporary visa; with this visa you can visit Australia for up to 3 months at a time within a 12-month period. The 12 months starts on the date the visa is granted.

Note: if you enter Australia on a cruise, you will need a valid visa, for round trip cruises (from Australia and returning to Australia); any time on the cruise counts as time in Australia on your visa, the department considers this as not leaving Australia. Leaving Australia on a cruise and re-entering does not re-set the stay period.

601 Visa Processing Time

Processing time for this visa is not available.

(Update date:2023.07)

601 Visa Obligations

  • When granted your visa will be digitally linked to your passport
  • You must obey Australian laws and meet all visa conditions
  • You must not stay longer then 3 months at a time. If you consistently stay in Australia for long periods or re-enter frequently you may be asked by the department the reason for your next visit. If the department decides you are not a genuine visitor your ETA may be cancelled
  • If any of your information changes i.e., address, passport, relationship status or birth of a child, the department cannot update the details on an ETA once it’s been issued, you will need to apply for a new ETA.
  • Once this visa expires you cannot extend it, you must leave Australia and re-apply for a new visa

Health insurance

It is important you arrange to have health insurance when travelling as you are personally liable for any medical expenses including unforeseen circumstances. The Department has specific requirements for what is considered adequate health insurance.

Scroll to Top
error: Alert: Content is protected !!